Saturday, September 21, 2013

Easy-Peasy Crochet Place Mats Pattern




I had yarn left over from making my Catherine Wheel Stitch afghan. So I decided to put together some place mats. I found inspiration online for these and they are really easy! Hope you like them too!



This quick and easy crochet placemat is comprised of just single crochets and double crochet. The stitches are of perfect thickness for laying flat and evenly supporting dishes.





Make your placemats in an amazing solid color or mix it up with stripes!



-Size H8/5mm crochet hook
-1 to 2 7 ox skeins of worsted weight yarn
-Sharp scissors
-Yarn needle

ch 54

Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and across for first row

Row 2: ch 1, turn, sc in 1st sc, then sk next dc, (sc & dc in next sc, sk next dc)across to last sc. sc in last sc, ch 1 and turn

Change color with last sc


Repeat row 2 until desired size. I made mine 30 rows. If making it in stripes, then change color with the last sc, as desired.

Skip 1st dc to put sc in next sc


Then, sc in a contrasting color around the outside for the border. End with sl st, then continue with a sl st around the outside to complete the look.

Weave in ends.

My finished mats measured roughly 11 1/2" x 17"
You could also make coasters with this pattern!

Re-Color Variation! I'm spending some time and updating older patterns with new colors! This variation I used a pale sage green and a peach. I only did one row of single crochet around the edge but you may want to do more for yours.




6 comments:

  1. What kind of yarn should I use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Use whatever yarn you would like! I used Bernat Super Saver Acrylic for mine but you can use Cotton if you prefer. :)

      Delete
    2. Is this right? SC in first chain, then a sc and dc in the next then sk next sc? I think I'n not reading it right.

      Delete
    3. Nope, you're reading it right. You're putting two stitches into one, then skipping the next stitch.

      Delete
    4. Thanks. Been working on it. Now I just need to decide how many skeins of yarn I will need to make 6 of them. Also, I were to make coasters would I use the same pattern but just smaller or size I want?

      Delete
    5. Exactly! Just chain to the desired width, divisible by 2 I believe, then add 1 more for base.

      Delete