Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Catherine Wheel Stitch Crochet Afghan plus Pattern

UPDATED!

This pattern has been updated to show more details on how to make the Catherine Wheel Stitch.

You can do any color variation you like for the wheels. I used three colors for the alternating wheels of this blanket.

To begin, chain a multiple of 8 plus 4 using a 5mm crochet hook. Then put 3 double crochets in the fourth chain from the hook. Skip three chains, and then single crochet in the next chain.
Now skip three chains again and put 7 double crochets in the next chain. Repeat from * across.


Because this is how the beginning row is done, if you're doing alternating colors then you'll want to change colors at this point. To change colors at the end of a row, leave the last double crochet uncompleted.



Then add the new color with the old color and pull a loop through the last two loops of the double crochet.


When I add a new color to start a row, I like to chain one and then tighten the two strands of colors to secure the space. Then I chain the number needed to begin the row of stitches. For example with this pattern, I chained one after adding the new color and tightened it down.




For row 2, start with a chain 3. To make the bottom half of the wheels, you'll need to do double crochet 7 together.
Yarn over, insert hook into next double crochet. Yarn over and pull up a loop then draw through two loops on the hook. Don't complete the double crochet!



Just repeat the process you just did using the very next double crochet, and again, don't complete the double crochet.
Do this process a total of 7 times.



I used an ink pen to show you where the two loops of each double crochet that I pulled through; the loops on the hook are the endings of the double crochets without completion.

Now, you'll want to yarn over and pull a loop through all 8 loops on your hook.


Next, chain three and single crochet in the next double crochet.

Repeat the dc7tog across for the row.


When you reach the end of the row, put a single crochet in the turning chain.  Row 3 completes each of the wheels. Chain one then put one single crochet in the first immediate single crochet. Now just put 7 double crochet in the ring of the cluster from below. Then single crochet in the next single crochet and the wheel is complete.


Repeat the process across to complete the row.


catherine wheel stitch  blue afghan

catherine wheel stitch crochet blue afghan





catherine wheel stitch crochet blue afghan


Catherine Wheel Stitch Lap-ghan Pattern


Gauge: One wheel is 2" across.



Row 4: Join next color with slip st in 1st sc, ch 3, work 3 dc tog in next 3 dc, ch 3, sc in next dc, ch 3, *work 7 dc tog in next 7 sts, ch 3, sc in next dc, ch 3. Repeat from * to remaining 4 sts. Work 4 dc tog in these sts

Row 5: ch 3, 3 dc in 1st st, sc in next sc, *work 7 dc in center of 7dctog set, sc in next sc. Repeat from * across to remaining 2 sts. 4 dc in last dc.

Repeat rows 2 through 5 to desired length.

For the borders, I added one row of sc all the way around followed by a row of dc all the way around.

22 comments:

  1. Shelly:

    Hi. Hope you are well. I was looking at this pattern to see if I could do. Could you tell me ske stands for/means? Would greatly appreciate. I can be reached at colette_duranleau@yahoo.com or can text me at 720-299-6700. Thanks again. Colette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice catch! That's a typo. It's supposed to only be "sk" for "skip". The e snuck in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelly, How much yarn did you use for each color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey KnittingNewbie! I used 4 skeins of each color. I thought I had put that in here, guess not. Thanks for asking! Happy Hooking!

      Delete
  4. How would you determine the number of stitches to add to make this wider? This looks like a good blanket to use for Linus Project and they need to be at least 30" wide but I prefer 36". Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so I'm sure this is a dumb question, but how to do you the 7 dc tog? As you say in Row 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tog means together, when you do a double crochet, instead of pulling the yarn through the two loops on the hook to finish it off, YO (yarn over) and go through the next stitch, and again, don't pull through to finish, just pull through 2 loops then yarn over again and move to the next stitch again.
      As you do this, count the number of loops on your hook till you get to 7, then yarn over and pull through all of them. You've now connected the tops of 7 dc.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this pattern! I made a lovely little scrap afghan for my two year old son using your pattern. I will link it to the ravelry page. The stitch and pattern are so beautiful I plan on making a full size afghan for myself later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this a multiple of 4 pattern repeat? I want to make it a full size afghan, like about 60 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to make a bigger afghan. What is the multiples on this, please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just have to say thank you! I made the most beautiful baby blanket for one of my best friends and I know she and baby are going to love it. The whole time I work on it, I received nothing but compliments. Because the directions were easy to follow, it took no time to get a rhythm. Again, thank you! Nicole







    .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just have to say thank you! This was a great pattern to work with and I made the most amazing baby blanket for a friend who is near and dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the pattern as written is a multiple of 8

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this pattern! This is my first big project like this and I'm finding this very easy to follow! It's so pretty and I love making it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not seein row 1-3 am I reading the patter wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the top, where it starts a paragraph "To begin,", that is row 1. Then a little further down is "For row 2", is row 2, and so on. This pattern was done differently so as to show the process step-by-step with photos. I apologize for the confusion. :)

      Delete
  14. Hi great pattern btw. Can you use the sombre or the car on cake yarns for this blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure but you could certainly do a few rows to see how it goes!

      Delete

  15. Thank you so much for this lovely pattern. I am making myself an Afghan. The finished piece will be about 4’ x 6’, perfect for me to snuggle with. So far I have finished about 2 feet and I just love it! So pretty. If you have this pattern on Ravelry, I will post a pic when I am done. πŸŒΈπŸ€—

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to use this pattern all the time, but the update is more confusing. You used to have like 4 tog and then on top it was 3 or something and now it doesn't show that at all.The blanket im trying to do isn't working out now on the sides. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall changing the pattern in any way, other than laying it out with photos. All I can recommend is double check that you haven't missed any stitches anywhere.

      Delete