Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Christmas Stripes Lap-Ghan

Super easy crochet afghan that can be used as a lap-ghan or foot blanket on your bed! Rows of red, green and white in blocks of crochet stitches make this blanket eye-appealing. Simple double and single crochet stitches alternating like waves and done lengthwise instead of width-wise finished off with fringe adorning the ends of the crochet blanket. It was very easy to do and fun too!


Christmas Crochet Blanket - Missed Stitches


I really enjoyed making this crochet blanket, especially from a different direction. I'm used to making my blankets by width. Hope you like it too!


Christmas Crochet Blanket - Missed Stitches





Materials:
5mm/H8 Hook 
14oz each of three colors ( I used Red Heart Yarn)

Sizing Information:
32" x  62" (before fringe)
Multiple of 8 + 4
Gauge = 4"

Pattern Instructions:
ch 196

Row 1: sk 2 ch, 1 sc in next 3 ch, *1 dc in ea of next 4 ch, 1 sc in ea of next 4 ch, repeat from * to end.

Row 2: ch 1, turn, sk 1t st, 1 sc in ea of next 3 sc, *1 dc in es of next 4 dc, 1 sc in ea of next 4 sc, repeat from * to end, work last st into tch and change color

Row 3: ch 2, turn, sk 1st st, 1 dc in ea of next 3 sc, *1 sc in each of next 4 dc, 1 dc in each of next 4 sc, repeat from * to end, work last st into tch

Row 4: ch 2, turn, sk 1st st, 1 dc in each of next 3 dc, *1 sc in each of next 4 sc, 1 dc in each of next 4 dc, repeat from * to end, work last st into tch and change color

Row 5: ch 1, turn, sk 1st st, 1 sc in each of next 3 dc, *1 dc in each of next 4 sc, 1 sc in each of next 4 dc, repeat from * to end, work last st into tch

Row 6: ch 1, turn, sk 1st st, 1 sc in each of next 3 sc, *1 dc in each of next 4 dc, 1 sc in each of next 4 sc, repeat from * to end, work last st into tch and change color

Repeat rows 3 through 6 until desired width.

You will see the pattern unfold as you make the blanket. My fringe was 8" strands folded in half and I used the traditional method of tying them to the ends.

Christmas Crochet Blanket - Missed Stitches

-Stitch Key-
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
ch = chain
sp = space
sl st = slip stitch
sk = skip
tch = turning chain

13 comments:

  1. Are you quite sure this counts as "easy"? It looks so complicated! And what does Sk mean when reading a pattern? Does it mean skip? Wow so much to learn I need to jump in and try or I will be a beginner forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super easy! You're just alternating double crochets and single crochets! And yes, sk = skip. Welcome to crochet! :)

      Delete
  2. What are their actual name of colors did you use? Or is it just red, green and white? The pictures looks so nice and antique traditional Christmas colors look, not so bright/bold. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca!
      The color names I used are Burgundy, Hunter Green and Aran from Red Heart Super Saver. :)

      Delete
  3. Probably a no-brainer question but at the end of each row you say to "work last st into tch and change color". What does "tch" stand for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly,

      TCH stands for Turning Chain. I usually put a key in my patterns but I must have forgotten on this one! :)

      Delete
  4. Love this pattern. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two questions about this pattern. As you change colors, do you make a knot and weave in the ends or did you make them part of the fringe?
    Also, you have two rows of each color, did you do fringe for each row?
    How many strands of yarn did you use for your fringe?

    Thank you for the help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's three questions, Janice! lol :o)
      I weave my ends into the stitches using a large embroidery (dull) needle. I made fringe for each row, so yes it was double on the ends. I think I measured out about 8-9" and folded them in half. The length is really a personal preference.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  6. This is such an easy pattern and I am doing it in cream,olive tan and rust.
    Not finished yet but it's coming along and is very pretty .
    Thanks for sharing, I'm having a great time with it,you can almost do it in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you change colors, do you tie off and add new color with a slip stitch/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all of my projects, I change color by adding the "new" yarn with the "old" yarn and completing the last stitch of the row, then drop the "old" yarn and begin the next row with the new yarn (so if it says next row is ch 3, then I chain using the new yarn.)

      Delete
  8. I would love to make this pattern are there video instructions for this I have a really hard time reading patterns because my vision is not so great

    ReplyDelete