Thursday, February 19, 2015

Spring Fling Crochet Blanket

Crochet Blanket Spring Fling Granny Square - Missed Stitches

I'm not one who does Granny Squares or connecting them for blankets. It always seemed so tedious to me so I avoided making them. Continually seeing Granny Square crochet blankets and even clothing in such intricate designs kept me thinking about them every time I began a new project.

I finally have gotten over my fear of the Granny Square connecting and made a blanket!

Welcome to Spring Fling Crochet Blanket!

Easy granny squares in gorgeous Spring colors to get you in the mood for warmer weather! I used four different pastel colors that I varied per block (only 3 colors were used per block) and coupled them with a soft, light blue for the borders around them and around the blanket.

Crochet Blanket Spring Fling Granny Square - Missed Stitches





There is no specific combination of colors that I did, I just made sure to vary them throughout. With their initial blue border, the squares measure 7".

Crochet Blanket Spring Fling Granny Square - Missed Stitches

I made 5 rows of 3 squares each. But you can make yours bigger!

Size: 22" x 34" (incl border)
Hook: H8/5mm
Yarn: Worsted Weight 4/medium
Skeins: 2 oz each of 4 pastels
7 oz of main border color

Square:
Rnd 1- ch 4, 2 dc in 4th ch from hook, *ch 2, 3 dc in same ring, repeat from * 2 times more.

Rnd 2- sl st to corner space, (ch 3, 2dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same space, ch 1, *3 dc, ch 2, 3dc in next ch2sp, ch 1, repeat from * around.

Rnd 3- ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 2 dc, (sc, ch 2, sc) in corner space, sc in next 3 dc, ch 4, *sc in next 3 dc, (sc, ch2, sc) in corner space, sc in next 3 dc, ch 4, repeat from * around. Finish off.

Change color

Rnd 4- Join new color with sl st to any ch4sp. (Ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3dc) in same space, *ch 2, sc in corner space, ch 2, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in ch4sp, ch 2, repeat from * around. Sl st in original start space.

Rnd 5- ch 3, dc in same space, dc in next 2 dc, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner space, dc in next 3 dc, ch 2, dc in next sc, ch 2, dc in next 3 dc, repeat from * around. Sl st in top of beginning ch 3.

Change color

Rnd 6- Join new color onto previous color with sl st. ch 3, dc in same space, dc in next 3 dc, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner space, dc in next 5 dc, 2 dc in ch2sp, dc in next dc, 2 dc in ch2sp, dc in next 5 dc, repeat from * around.

Change color

Rnd 7- Join new color onto previous color with sl st. ch 3, dc in same space, dc in next 5 dc, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next corner space, dc in next 5 dc, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner space, dc in next 19 dc, repeat from * around, sl st in top of ch 3 start. Finish off.
Note: Be sure finished sides are 23 dc stitches each.

Joining:
Using your favorite joining method, connect your squares! Not sure what my method is called but I wove yarn using my yarn needle back and forth through the loops farthest from each other on the squares. Then I made a single row of dc all the way around for the final border.

Hope you enjoy!

Happy Hooking!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shelly,
    I love to crochet granny square blankets. Yours is really pretty and soft looking. I like the colors you used and I especially like how you used such a pretty blue for the border. Hope you make some more! You truly are inspiring me.
    Thanks for sharing your pretty Spring Fling Granny Square blanket - Bobbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this beautiful soft pastel blanket. My grand daughter loves rainbows and it would be so cliche to literally make a rainbow blanket. This is a soft gentle colour way like looking at the sun breaking through a rain shower. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky me just stumbled upon your blanket. Many thanks for sharing the beautiful pattern with us. I am most anxious to begin this project as I just found out 2 days ago that our next door neighbor will be having their first child. As it turns out I completed a knitted cowl while at the doctor's this morning. I found my next project thanks to you! I will go through my vast stash shortly and begin the blanket this evening. Thank you again for the pattern. It is both kind and generous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would like to know a bit more about the amount of each colour required how many yards or meters does it take for each colour..the ounces doesn't really give me enough information. I'd like to print the pattern but I'm just not sure about the amounts. Thanks

    ReplyDelete